Bald Eagles at Ashokan Reservoir

Thanks to Elisa’s  (of the HMBIRDS Yahoo Group) excellent directions and advice we found the Bald Eagles nest at Ashokan Reservoir quite easily. The Adults are taking turns sitting on the eggs in the nest.  The nest is quite far from where it is possible to stand and observe/photograph; but even so I was able to get a few useable photos of the nest as well as some great closeups of the male perched on a dead branch.

After we waited around for about an hour, the female returned to the nest and took over sitting on the eggs and the male flew off…

bald-eagle-nest_03-06-10_07.jpg

bald-eagle-nest_03-06-10_08.jpg

bald-eagle-nest_03-06-10_10.jpg

bald-eagle-in-flight_03-06-10_01.jpg

bald-eagle-in-flight_03-06-10_03.jpg

The male circled around and perched on a tree limb not far away in an area that allowed a pretty close approach. He didn’t seem to mind me at all as I snapped away. I was thrilled to be able to get such close shots!

bald-eagle-perched_03-06-10_09.jpg

bald-eagle-perched_03-06-10_14.jpg

bald-eagle-perched_03-06-10_16.jpg

bald-eagle-perched_03-06-10_17.jpg

bald-eagle-perched_03-06-10_24.jpg

bald-eagle-perched_03-06-10_30.jpg

bald-eagle-perched_03-06-10_36.jpg

bald-eagle-perched_03-06-10_35.jpg

About Clint

I am an avid nature photographer as well as a published songwriter/acoustic guitarist.
This entry was posted in Clint's Photos. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Bald Eagles at Ashokan Reservoir

1. Clint says:

Mike,

I used a Canon 50D camera with a Canon 400mm f5.6L lens. Thanks for looking.

2. mike says:

great pics, what equipment do you use?

3. Ken H. says:

Hi Clint,
    I just went back to look over you eagle photos from Ashokan again and I see what you mean about that branch being one of it’s favorites.. lol Great place for photos tho and should be even better when the eggs hatch and the eagles are spending their time shutteling food back to the nest. take care and again great photos.
    Ken h.

4. Clint says:

Barb,

Thanks. It is my pleasure to share photos of such a beautiful bird.

5. Barb says:

Fantastic shots, thanks for sharing !

6. Clint says:

Thanks, Ellen. All the credit for beauty goes to that handsome eagle!

7. Clint says:

Thanks, Paul. I know I was very thrilled to get close enough for a good portrait of this guy!

8. Clint says:

Zen Birdfeeder,

The bright sun was at a good angle and brought out detail in the eagle. It was a lovely day.

9. Paul says:

Thanks for shaing these great pictures. I imagine that any bird photographer would have been thrilled to be able to take them.

10. Gorgeous shots. Great lighting on a regal subject! Bravo!